Friday, September 02, 2016

The Legend of Tarzan


I finally got around to seeing the Legend of Tarzan today. I should have taken it as an omen, when they accidentally started showing the Jungle Book. It took them a while to square it away. I guess all movie jungle guys look alike.
I couldn't decide if it was a step up over the 1981 movie, “Tarzan of the Apes”, with Bo Derek and Miles O'Keeffe, or a step down. The movie seemed schizophrenic at times. A movie that tries to be all things usually becomes nothing. It was a buddy movie, it was an Indiana Jones movie, it was a Spiderman movie, it was everything but a Tarzan movie. It was more Jungle Jim than Tarzan, and don't even get me started on the Tarzan yell. It was a joke. On the plus side, and there is always plus side, I only paid $3.98 for Jeri and I at the Starplex Theater in La Mirada..
For my money, there is really only one cinematic Tarzan and Jane and that is Johnny Weissmuller and Maureen O' Sullivan. No one comes close.

Johnny Weissmuller and Maureen O' Sullivan

No comments: