Tuesday, July 16, 2019

A Memory

I was having breakfast this morning; scrambled eggs (with ketchup) and two slices of bacon. My wife brings me one slice of buttered toast, white bread, of course.

I put a slice of bacon on the toast and folded it, taco style, and thought to myself, "For you dad"! One bite and I was transported back to the 1950's and the very early1960's.

I had to be, more or less, about my grandson Jack's age, when I would wake up in the early morning as my father was having breakfast before leaving for work. I sat and waited as he took a slice of bacon from his plate, put in on a buttered toast, folded it and hand it to me saying,"Here you go Mijo!", along with a big generous smile. It became a "thing" that I looked forward to.

On the days when I slept in I would walk into the kitchen and almost without fail my mother would say "Here, your father left this for you!" It was a slice of bacon on buttered toast, folded and ready to go.

It's the seemingly little things that make up a good life and beautiful memories.

I still love and miss that man, and my mother!

No comments: