Monday, January 02, 2023

Remembering the McDonnell Douglas / Boeing Years


Forty-four years ago today, January 2, 1979, I began working at McDonnell Douglas. I did not know, at the time, it would be "The Job", my career. How could I? I was twenty-three. It was a lifetime ago.

It changed my life in so many ways. I was introduced to people I would have never met otherwise. Some became lifetime friends. I conquered fears and received an education in the process.

To be associated with McDonnell Douglas gave me a certain sense of purpose and respectability that had been lacking in my life.  A justifiable pride. We all felt that way.

I said to my wife a couple of weeks ago, "If Boeing [McDonnell Douglas  merged with Boeing in 1997] had not closed the Long Beach plant, I would still be working. I wouldn't have retired!" She gave me that look that women give you when they are about to call you on your BS. "That's not true and you know it. You didn't want to go in anymore!" She said more than that but that was the gist of it. She was right of course, I was tired and ready for retirement. It was a good thing.

Over the years I have worked on the DC-10, DC-9/MD-80, MD-11 and the C-17 Globemaster III, as a mechanic, lead man and supervisor.

I appreciate the life my job gave me, I raised my family on that job, and I appreciate my retirement.  I miss the work but more than anything I miss the people. The greatest aircraft workforce in the industry.

Years ago, when I was young, the future and retirement seemed so far in the future, it was 100 years away. Now, looking back it is a great personal memory. I am truly grateful. 

For any and all success I have had in my life, I give all Glory to God!

No comments: