Thursday, February 08, 2024

Arroz con Pollo

Tonight's Supper.. Arroz con Pollo (Rice with Chicken)

There are certain dishes that I cook that, in order to be "Authentic ", need to be made with traditional methods and ingredients.  I am a stickler for authenticity in anything I cook (within the boundaries of my limited skills) but I tend to stray from tradition with arroz con pollo. I add linguicia sausage, the sausage of Portugal.  

Back in the early 1990's, about thirty years ago, on the MD-11 line at McDonnell Douglas in Long Beach, California I worked with a Portuguese man, around my age, give or take a year. We were eating lunch together and he pulled out a sandwich on a roll. As he was eating the sandwich he began making sounds. I mention this because this is something I do when I am really enjoying something.

Well, I had to ask," What kind of sandwich is that?"  "It's a linguicia sandwich". Up til that time I had never heard of linguicia.  He brought me up to date on everything linguicia and then he said the magic words a man like me loves to hear, "I have another one if you want it!" Well, I don't have to tell you what my answer was. Still, to this day, it was one of the best sandwich I have ever eaten.

I cannot, for the life of me, remember his name but I think of him every time I eat linguicia. 

Anyway, one day I had the idea to add the linguicia to my arroz con pollo and I have made it this way ever since.

God Bless you, stay safe and eat good!

No comments: