Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Lord Giveth and the Lord Taketh

I am happy to report (belatedly)on the birth of the newest member of our family, Frankie Blue Lozano. Her parents are Frank Lozano and Genvieve Robles, daughter of David and Dolores Robles. Frankie was born on June 3, 2007 at 9:29 PM (prematurely)and weighed 3lbs 4.6 oz, and is a beautiful, healthy baby girl! As soon as a photo of her is made available to me I will post it.

On a very, very sad note, I am sad to announce the passing of our cousin Pastor Ronnie Vargas. Pastor Ronnie was the son of my mother's younger sister Rachel (Osuna). Ronnie was the Pastor of HOSEA Christian Center in East Los Angeles. His passing was announced, unexpectedly, during a fund raiser for Pastor Ronnie at the church, located at 5260 E. Pomona Blvd., Los Angeles.

His memorial service was held Thursday, August 16, 2007 at HOSEA Chapel, 220 S. 5th Street, Alhambra, California. It was one of the finest memorial service I have ever attended. His life was celebrated, honored and remembered by his wife Delfina and their children, including both of his sons who spoke about their father. Several attending Pastors all spoke of their relationship with Pastor Ronnie, including friendships that preceded his coming to the Lord and becoming a dedicated man of God.

The memorial service gave me, and I am sure, other family members as well, a chance to see Pastor Ronnie in a whole new light. I am proud to know that such a rare, amazing man was in our family, and both embarrassed and ashamed to say that I did not know him as well as I should have. I can honestly say that I did not have a clue to the depth of the man, or of his commitment to God, his family and his friends. It is my loss.

While I was not one of those fortunate individuals that was touched by Pastor Ronnie during his life; his death and his dedicated life have caused me to reevaluate my own life and my relationship with God, which at times has been somewhat fiery, but for the most part has been lukewarm, at best.

Pastor Ronnie Vargas was born April 30, 1960 in Los Angeles (Boyle Heights), California. He came from humble beginnings, a life of hardship that included gangs, drugs and prison, and (in large part due to his wife Delfina) turned his life around to become a man of God, a dedicated Christian, a family man and an American success story. A success not measured by wealth, material possessions and false, fleeting fame, but a success measured by his legacy that includes the love of his family, his congregation, his many, many true friends and most importantly his place in Heaven. Pastor Ronnie went to the Lord on Sunday, August 12, 2007. He was, and is, a man to be admired and emulated. Rest in Peace Primo!

No comments: