Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Passing of Gregorio D. Barela and Danny Lucero Jr. R.I.P.

I recieved the following emails from our cousins Joseph Valles and David Alper informing me of the deaths of two of our relatives; Gregorio D. Barela and Danny Lucero Jr. Thanks to both of you for sharing the news with us, however bad the news is. I want to extend my family's personal condolences to the family and friends of Gregorio and David.

Randy De La O


(Email dated June 13, 2009)
Dear Richard, Randy, Lisa, and Joseph:

On the heels of announcing the passing of cousin Gregorio Barela--and father of Richard--I regret to inform you of the passing of cousin Danny Lucero, Jr., of blessed memory, on 5-18-09. Coincidentally, this date was the date of the latest Cafe de la O. newsletter. This passing was stated in the May 22 Albuquerque Journal obituary which I've attached. Danny was preceded in death by his father as well as his mother, who was Enedina Lucero-Escareno, and stepfather Robert Escareno. Our hearts and prayers go out to Danny's brothers and sisters: Yolanda,
Laura, Cindy, Jerry, Mark, and Benjamin--who are Richard Barela's first cousins--and to all other members of Danny's extended family.

With sympathy, love, and peace--

Cousin David Alper


(Email dated June 14, 2009)
Randy, Lisa, and Joseph:

As mama used to tell me: "Un poco de atencion vale mas que dinero." One inquiry about Danny and one letter to Richard has had a big impact on Richard, more than I imagined. With that thought in mind, Randy, thanks for the Cafe de la O. web/letters and opening my eyes to the awesome de la O family. Lisa, thanks for your ongoing love, support,t and interest in furthering our family ties. Joseph, thanks for your communication that put me in touch with Randy and members of your family. There's so much more to learn and family with whom to connect. Soon, I hope to share birth and marriage announcements too. If they're not happening now, it won't be long before they will. I think that we'll have more relatives to share in the coming months, G-d bless all of you, and Randy, may He keep your son, Andrew, safe too in his military duties..

Love,

David


Dear David,

Thank you for informing me of Danny Boy's passing. It was a complete shock to me and just as unexpected. I pray the Lucero family has found peace as I am confident Danny Boy has found.

This news has tempered my excitement of your sharing the De La O family tree you have compiled. Seeing all my aunts and uncles, as well as cousins of every degree, brought the happiest tears to my eyes that I haven't experienced in a long time. The childhood memories (and the tears of joy) the family tree brought back are some of the happiest in my life and I am in your debt for sharing this with me. The De La O family is one of the most kindest, loving families and I will always remember the joy of one of my uncles or aunts coming to Las Cruces
to visit and the fun we had together. When Uncle Joe (Jose) would start playing his guitar and everyone would encourage my dad to sing along with his beautiful voice showed me the love they all had for each other. I truly miss those times.

You mentioned the Cafe De La O newsletter. I would really like to have access to the newsletter if that is at all possible, and any past issues. It sounds very interesting. Once again, thank you for allowing me to share in all the work you have done. I can't begin to express my gratitude and hope all is going well.

Sincerely,

Richard Barela


Obituary for Danny Lucero Jr.

March 03, 1952 - May 19, 2009

Lucero--Danny Lucero Jr. (D-Boy) a resident of Albuquerque, NM went to be with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ forever on Monday, May 18, 2009, at the age of 57. Danny was preceded in death by his father Danny Lucero; and his mother Enedina Lucero-Esacreno; and his stepfather Robert Escareno. He is survived by his sisters, Yolanda, Laura, and Cindy Lucero; his brothers, Jerry and wife Julie, Mark, Ben and wife, Mila Lucero; his surviving nephews and nieces as follows, Russell, Derrick, Jeremy, and Andrew McGinnis, Suzette Salazar, Jessica Knox, Stephen Walton, Erin Benavidez, Brandy and husband Jonathan Mercer, Brittany, Brigitte, Sarafima, and Aleksandra Lucero. A Celebration of His Life Service will be held on Saturday, May 23, 2009, 1:00pm, at Fellowship Missionary Baptist Church, 8550 Saul Bell Rd, NW, Albuquerque, NM. Services will be ministered by Pastor Dennis Dunn, and the church family of FMBC. In lieu of flowers the family requests that donations be made to: FMBC-Danny Lucero Foundation (a street ministry), 8550 Saul Bell Rd NW, Albuquerque, NM 87121. Please visit our online guestbook for D-Boy ”Danny” at RememberTheirStory.com
French
7121 Wyoming blvd. NE
(505) 823-9400



(The following is from an email from Joseph Valles
dated June 12, 2009)

Note: following the obitueary for Gregorio Barela are the guestbook signatures

Dear Cousins,
Thank you, Cousin David Alper, for letting all of us know of Gregorio Barela's passing. Yes, Cousin Gregorio was a relation of Juanita De La O, one of Severo's daughters. This is Cindy Fahrbach's side of the family.


Gregorio D. Barela "Chief" (1931-2008)

D. "Chief" Barela, 76, passed away peacefully at his home on Thursday, January 31, 2008. Gregorio was born on November 20, 1931, in San Ysidro, New Mexico to Juanita and Felipe Barela. In 1951 he was married to Irma M. Nevarez. Gregorio will always be remembered with love as "Chief", "Dad", "Grampa Dad" and "Uncle Chief"
Gregorio is survived by his sister, Erminia Merlano of Las Cruces. He is also survived by 3 sons and 2 daughters, David N. Barela and wife Elvira of Tucson, Arizona, Julia N. Silva and husband Xavier of Las Cruces, Cathy Barela of Las Cruces, Richard A. Barela and wife Sara of Colorado Springs, Colorado, Patrick Barela of Las Cruces, 14 granddaughters, 9 grandsons, 10 great-grand-daughters, 12 great-grandsons, and many nieces, nephews, great nieces and great nephews.
Throughout his life Gregorio was also blessed to have made many friends.
Gregorio was preceded in death by his wife Irma, parents Juanita and Felipe, son Gregory and 3 sisters and 5 brothers.

Gregorio served and retired from civil service as a crane operator for the U.S. Navy.

A Prayer Vigil will be held at 7:30 p.m., Thursday, February 7, 2008, at Immaculate Heart of Mary Cathedral, 1240 S. Espina. The Funeral Mass will also be held at Immaculate Heart of Mary Cathedral at 10 a.m., Friday, February 8, 2008, with the Most Reverend Ricardo Ramirez, CSB officiating. The Rites of Committal will follow immediately after the Mass at the Immaculate Heart of Mary Cathedral Columbarium. A reception will then be held at the Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish Hall.

At Gregorio's request services are being provided by La Paz-Graham's Funeral Home 555 West Amador, Las Cruces, New Mexico. To sign the guest book vist www.lapaz-Grahams.com

Guestbook entries:


February 20, 2008

I love you Dad
~

Richard Barela,

Colorado Springs, Colorado


|
February 09, 2008
Dear Barela Family,
I had the pleasure of meeting Uncle Chief 2 years ago for the first time when Albert took me to Las Cruces to see where his life began. Upon meeting Uncle Chief as he walked over to the family his personality and laughter told me he was truly a Barela. It was so wonderful to meet him and talk with him,it seemed like I had always known him.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to you an may God Bless You All.
Sincerely,
Albert's wife Esther, Son Vincent Albert and daughter Bridget Dina Barela

~

Esther Barela,

Los Angeles, California


February 09, 2008
Dear Family
My memories of my Uncle Chief will always be of a man that I have loved. My memories of going fishing and hunting with him as a child have stayed with me always. Sorry for your loss.
You have lost a wonderful father and mother.
Sincerely Yours,
Cousin Albert Henry and family, The Barela's.

~

Albert Henry Barela,

Los Angeles, California


|
February 07, 2008
To all my cousins my deepest sympathy. I can still se him walking in the door making his almost daily visit to see my Mom. He had nick names for all of us. Such a delightful, kind and caring person. I know he is happy in Heaven with Auntie Irma and his brothers and sisters. What a reunion.

Love you

~

Margaret Smith,

Austin, Texas


February 06, 2008
grandpadad was a very caring and loving man and we will miss him very much he will always be in our heart and in our prayers.

~

Monica & Angelina,

Las Cruces, New Mexico



February 06, 2008
You will be greatly missed. When you look down from heavn that your heart swells with pride from the legacy you have left behind.

~

M. Paul Quintana,

Wasilla, Alaska


|
February 06, 2008
TO MY MOST LOVING FAMILY. WE WERE SO BLESSED TO HAVE A FATHER LIKE DAD. SO FULL OF LOVE AND LAUGHTER. WHICH WAS PASSED ON TO US. MY PRAYERS WILL BE PRAYED DAILY FOR US ALL.

YOUR LOVING
SISTER,AUNT,COUSIN
CATHY BARELA

~

CATHY BARELA,

LAS CRUCES NM


|
February 06, 2008
Barela Family,

I am very sorry for your loss. Please know that your family is in my prayers. God Bless You All.

~

Sonja Quintana,

Mesa, Arizona


|
February 06, 2008
TO A GREAT MAN AND FRIEND. MR BARELA WAS A NICE PERSON, AND A JOKER. HE ALWAYS SHOWED LOTS OF RESPECT AND COMPASSION. I WOULD LIKE TO SEND MY CONDOLENCES TO THE BARELA FAMILY. MR BARELA WILL BE GREATLY MISSED. MAY GOD BLESS YOU!

~

ELOY SANCHEZ,

LAS CRUCES, New Mexico




From: alperd2@aol.com
To: rand90606@aol.com; elgazzar2@astound.net; jvalles@hotmail.com
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:37:55 -0500
Subject: Obituary for Gregorio D. Barela "Chief"

Message: This obituary for cousin Gregorio "Chief" Barela, of blessed memory, is from January 2008. It contains updated information regarding family members. Randy, you may have already seen some of this information. According to my info, Gregorio descended from the Severo branch--brother of Cosme de la O. Regards, cousin David Alper,

Please visit the Obituary for Gregorio D. Barela "Chief"

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/lcsun-news/obituary.aspx?n=gregorio-d-barela-chief&pid=102721182

Click on the link above or cut and paste the url into your browser's address bar.

No comments: