Thursday, September 13, 2007

Ensalada de Nopalitos (Cactus Salad)

When my kids were younger I would make cactus salad for them. They loved it. This recipe is pretty close to the one I made. I would add a few chopped Jalapeno or Serrano chilies and some Anejo cheese to the salad. Lime works as well as vinegar in this salad, maybe better, but that's a matter of taste. Rinse the cactus well before adding it to your salad to get rid of the slime.
Ensalada
de Nopalitos (Cactus Salad)

A simple recipe for
nopalitos salad.



Prickly Pear (Tunas) In Bloom
green prickly pear
(tuna) in full flower photo: gourmetsleuth.com




Serves: 6
I N
G R E D I E N T S

24 ounce jar sliced or diced prickly pear cactus (or
fresh sliced cactus, grilled or boiled and cooled)
2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoon  vegetable oil
4 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
leaves

Dash of pepper





I N
S T R U C T I O N S

Place
cactus, tomatoes, onion and cilantro in glass or plastic bowl.


Shake remaining ingredients in tightly covered jar. Pour over
vegetables;toss. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours. 




 blog it

No comments: