Monday, March 18, 2013

Bahooka Family Restaurant Has Closed it's Doors

Bahooka Family Restaurant
Bahooka Family Restaurant in the City of Rosemead

Earlier this month, on March 10th, Bahooka Family Restaurant in the city of Rosemead, closed it;s doors for the final time. Bahooka was the last of the Tiki/Polynesian style restaurant in the area, that I know of. It was somewhat of an institution in Southern California.

We first went there on September 12, 1977. I remember the date because it was my late sister Evelyn's 28th birthday. My parents, my brother Dennis, along with my sister, Jeri and I went there to celebrate with her . I can;t remember what I had but it was probably ribs. The inside of the  restaurant was filled with fish tanks and every exotic fish you could think of, of all sizes.It was a unique, one of a kind restaurant and I'm sorry to see it close.

About a week or so before Bahooka closed, Jeri and I stopped by for old time's sake. I'm glad we did. Most of the people there, including us, were walking around, taking pictures, trying to preserve as many memories as they could. Nothing last forever.


Bahooka Family Restaurant
Jeri and I at Bahhoka 2013

Evelyn, Randy, Jeri and Dennis at Bahooka in Rosemead, California 1977
My sister Evelyn, me (Randy), Jeri and my brother Dennis (1977)

Bahooka Restaurant
My parents Andrew and Anita De La O (1977)

No comments: