Friday, February 28, 2014

The Walking Stick


Sometime in 1973 I cut a good sized branch from a eucalyptus tree and made myself a walking/hiking stick. I burnished it, singed it, oiled it and used it. It's worn down to a smooth finish. It's been years since I have used it. I like looking at it from time to time. It's one of those simple possessions that for whatever reason, means something to us. It has always reminded me of my days with my friends when I was a little more carefree. I have kept it for 41 years.

I decided to part with it. My granddaughter Maddie has taken an interest in hiking and I wanted her to have it. I let her know what it meant to me and if she wanted to accept responsibility for it, she could have it. She wanted it. So now it is Maddie's walking stick.

No comments: