Sunday, December 07, 2014

The DC-8: Birth of a Jet

I'm sitting here this morning enjoying a cup of coffee and thinking about work, or rather, the lack of it. Retirement is nice don't get me wrong. Still, it takes a while to get used to the idea that my time with the Douglas Aircraft Company,  McDonnell Douglas and Boeing is over. After almost 36 years - January 2, 2015 would have been 36 years - change does not come easily. Whenever any relationship ends, even a relationship with your job, it takes a while to adjust. I miss the daily camaraderie and I miss the work. 


This video documentary of the DC-8 is before my time in the aircraft industry. I was five years old when this film was produced but it reminds me of how fortunate I was to be a part of something so big, something that was part of the American landscape for so long. It was a special time for all of us that worked at Long Beach. 

No comments: