Wednesday, July 06, 2016

My 1979 Toyota Land Cruiser

Kern River

My 1979 Toyota Land Cruiser, of all the vehicles I have owned in my life this is the one that meant the most to me. It was an extension of me. I had a lot of fun with it. I owned it at the right time in my life to make good use of it. I wish I still had it. This photo was taken at Kern River in 1979.

Azusa Canyon
Contemplating....

Azusa Canyon
I almost made it!
tt might not look it but that hill was steep. I took three tries at getting to the top. My brother Dennis was with me. After the second try, after nearly flipping over, he said “I'm getting out, you're going to get us killed”. I never did make it but I gave it one hell of a try. I think if the top was off I would have had a better shot.
The guy that followed me made it on his second try. He was in a Jeep CJ-5 He did not have the top on so I think that helped him.. I think I softened it up for him too. Anyways, that's my excuse, ….I mean, that's my story and I'm sticking too it!

This was in Azusa Canyon ,in the San Gabriel Mountains off Highway 39, when it was still uncivilized and wild, circa 1979 - 1980. It's changed. It's been about 15 years or so since I was last there. It was not the same.

Those were good days. Good friends, plenty of food and beer and lots of time to enjoy it.

All photos were taken by my wife Jeri De La O..

No comments: