Thursday, January 31, 2019

A Throwback Photo: Dinner at Jack Demsey's in NYC


From 2004: Jeri and I were in Cape May, New Jersey for our son Andrew's graduation from the Coast Guard Boot Camp and decided to stay a couple of nights in New York before heading home. After walking out of the Empire State Building I saw Jack Demsey's Pub (I don't now why they omitted the P from Dempsey) and thought to myself, This is where I want to be!"

A very nice place. The owner came and sat with Jeri and I for a while. A friendly man with a sense of humor and a thick Scottish accent. I had the corned beef and cabbage and if I remember correctly, Jeri had the shrimp scampi or something very similar. Everything was delicious.

 Speaking of the Empire State Building: Jeri and I were sitting in a small bar/club called O's, adjacent to the Hotel Pennsylvania (I absolutely, positively and indubitably do not recommend this hotel),where we were staying, enjoying a few drinks and listening to a bluesy band.

I noticed people stopping, looking up, or kneeling and looking up, taking pictures. This kept happening over and over. When we left O's I looked over to my right and there it was, the Empire State Building. It was lit up and had a yellowish hue. Biggest Building I ever saw in my life. I thought it was amazing. I did what everyone else did. I looked up and took a picture. The next day we went to the top.We had a great view of the entire city and some clouds and all I could think about was, If a plane was heading for this building there was nothing i could do!" A sobering thought.

No comments: