Sunday, December 16, 2012

Happy Birthday Andrew Salazar De La O


Today, December 16, 2012 would have been my father's 89th birthday. He was born in Albuquerque but grew up in Las Cruces, New Mexico, where our family is from. He's been gone nearly 32 years. Today, for the first time, we'll be getting together at my mother's house, along with my brother's family to celebrate his birthday. Thanks to my Bro, for suggesting it! Missing will be my sister who lives in Phoenix, Arizona and my niece Sunshine, who lives in Florida. They'll both be in our thoughts.

My father's memory still looms big over our family. All that I hold dear about life was learned from him. Like the rest of us, he was not perfect. He was flawed and made his mistakes. In a word, he was a man. 

It was through him that I learned to love boxing. It was through him that I learned to keep my New Mexican roots close to my heart. It was through him that I learned to be a man and a father. It was by watching him accept Christ, late in his life, that gave me the courage to do the same.

We still miss him but we know he's in good hands. Today we'll be talking about him and laughing at all the  good memories he left us. Happy Birthday Dad! we love You!


The two Andrews....

It's funny how things work out. I named my son Andrew, after my father. As it turns out he has so many of the same attributes and personality traits as my father, especially, when it comes to playing the guitar ad his love of music.

We chose his name wisely. When he asked about it once I said to him, "Son, I named you after the greatest man I ever knew"! As he got older I also told him, remember, wherever you go in life, you represent a great name. The name Andrew means Strong or Manly, it fits both of them to a tee! His grandfather would be proud!


Addendum: What I should have said was, Jeri and I named our son, because it was a mutual decision reached after long consideration. We gave him my middle name, James.

No comments: