Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Simplicio "Simpy" Albios


Today I got word that an old friend that I haven't seen in many years has passed away. Actually he passed away about five weeks ago. His name was Simplicio Albios. He went by "Simpy" He was Filipino American by way of Hawaii. He was much older than me. We worked together back in 1978 at Sargent Fletcher Company, an aircraft equipment company in El Monte, California. This is where we met

Simpy was a martial artist and a life long practitioner of Filipino Kali and Escrima, both of which use stick and knife fighting, extensively and effectively. We hit it off quickly, even more so, when he found out that I had trained at the famed Filipino Kali Academy in Torrance, California, under Danny Inosanto and Richard Bustillo. Everyday at lunch, we would go to our regular spot to practice with the sticks. I still have the metal sticks he gave me. I did not have the long years of experience that he did. He was willing to take the time to teach me and I was a willing student.

I never forgot him. I think about him whenever I take out the sticks. He was a unique individual and had a personality that was hard to resist. We became good friends.

Simpy was one of those people I've mentioned before that we meet on our life's journey. The people that stay with us. Though it's been years since I have seen him, I will miss him.

My condolences to the family of Simplicio "Simpy" Albios.

No comments: