Sunday, July 20, 2014

James Garner 4/7/1928 - 7/19/2014

James Garner as Brett Maverick

James Garner as Jim Rockford


James Garner has passed away. I cannot think of a harder working actor. It seems I have been watching him on television or at the movies, in one form or another, my entire life. 

He will be remembered for a lot of things, I am sure of that, as well as his many other roles, but the two that I believe he will be remembered for more than any others will be Brett Maverick in the television western, "Maverick", that ran in the late 1950's into the early 1960's (a role he reprised many times over the years) and a decade later, as Jim Rockford, the tough but vulnerable private detective in "The Rockford Files", a role he also repeated throughout his long career. Two long lasting iconic roles. He was a large part of television history. In later years, he starred in "8 Simple Rules" working along side the late John Ritter and Katey Segal. 

I did not know the man personally but he seemed to be one of Hollywood's good guys. There was a certain quality that seemed to come out in all of his movie or television characters. There was a sort of vulnerability and honesty in all his roles. I believe that was his natural trait.

I can say with all honesty that I will miss his presence on television. My condolences to his family, friends and fans. R.I.P. Jame Garner and thank you!

James Garner on IMDB

No comments: