Saturday, November 01, 2014

Hiroshima by John Hersey

Hiroshima

I just finished reading “Hiroshima” by John Hersey. It was originally published in 1946. I picked the book up so long ago I cannot remember when I got it or where but I finally got around to reading it. Considering the subject matter it's a rather small book. The story follows six of the Atomic bomb survivors from the very second the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan from the B-29 Superfortress on 8:15 August 6, 1945.

Each survivor gives a detailed account of the initial second of the super explosion and through the following years. The horror is unfathomable. Their lives were forever changed. Their loss unimaginable. Their courage and ability to survive unmatched.

Though some of the survivors expressed anger at the United States, the author himself makes no attempt at judgment or blame. According to the book most of the overall opinions of the Japanese following the bombing and the end of the war was a realistic and simple belief that it was “Just war” or “That it couldn't be helped”. I don't know if they hold that position today or not. Whatever the case, it's a good quick read and I recommend it.

No comments: