Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Roasting New Mexico Green Chile

One half of my order of green chile from Hatch, New Mexico, came in this morning. I ordered half Sandia hot and Barker X hot, five pounds each.. The Sandia came today, the Barker should be here tomorrow.

I roasted the chiles outside on the grill, the same way my father roasted them. It adds a smokiness to the chiles. I always have at least one with a tortilla while I'm roasting, a simple tradition passed on from my father Back in the day, as my father would roast the chiles, my mother would be making homemade flour tortillas. In those days my father would have 2 or 3 gunny sacks filled with green chile. I would run back and forth for more tortillas for my father. That pinche chile I had with a tortilla was hot!! (but good)

My wife Jeri does all the Chile Verde cooking nowadays. She has mastered the fine art of Chile Verde. I can't wait to eat.

Ten pounds of chile really isn't that much but I'm glad I didn't order more. I went to the garage to put the bagged chiles in the freezer only to find out the freezer is broken. We had to make room in the house freezer.

The chiles were purchased at the Hatch Chile Store in Hatch, New Mexico. Click on the link to order your chile but you better hurry! The Hatch Chile Store link.

Hatch Green Chile
Courtesy of the USPS

Hatch Green Chile



Hatch Green Chile



Hatch Green Chile



Hatch Green Chile



Hatch Green Chile
Ready for the freezer

No comments: