Tuesday, May 23, 2017

All My Rowdy Friends Have Settled Down by Hank Williams Jr.


I was going through some old songs on Youtube this morning. This song came up,  “All my Rowdy Friends Have Settled Down”, Man did it bring back some memories; some good, some some not so good, but long treasured and long remembered.

Back in the early 1980's, this was one of the background songs that defined the decade for me. Hank Williams Jr, along with Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and so many more. This song and many others were drinking and partying songs and man, we made the most of it.

It's funny how time changes your perspective. You learn that nothing stays the same. Things have a way of changing and time keeps moving. I remember way back then thinking "That will never happen to us” but it did. I have not seen my old pals in years. We all got busy with life and responsibility. .

Now, when I listen to this song there is a twinge of sadness that comes over me. Still I remember those days and my friends We lived through those days together, since the 1960's.. We drank together, and fought together. To quote Charles Dickens: "It was the best of times, It was the worst of times."

I don't drink anymore, except maybe a beer with my Mexican food, and my only vice today is too much coffee, too much food and more cussing than I care to admit to. It's all over now but, hey, we had a good run!

It's time for another cup of coffee!


No comments: