Monday, March 26, 2018

Breakfast at Mimo's in Uptown Whittier

Click Image For a Larger View
Mimo's Cafe in Uptown Whittier


By Randy De La O

I had a hankering for a real breakfast this morning. We were headed to Jack's on Whittier Blvd but when we passed Mimo's on Greeleaf we decided to stop here for breakfast.

I looked over the specials and decided on the Santa Fe Skillet. Jeri ordered the ham and eggs.

I asked the cashier/waitress what was in the Santa Fe Skillet and she gave me a list of ingredients. "Does it have green chile?" If you have roots in New Mexico or the Southwest you'll understand the significance of that question. "It has what I just told you!" she answered. Hmmm, no green chile? I thought to myself.

I had visions of being transported to the "Land of Enchantment!" Well, that did not happen but it was still a good breakfast. Jeri enjoyed her breakfast as well. The food at Mimo's is always good. It's casual and friendly. I have never had a bad meal there.

Here is my one gripe (You know it was coming). This is not with Mimo's personally but with restaurants in general.

You cannot slap together onions, bell peppers and tomatoes and give a name like the Santa Fe Skillet (however good it is). If it doesn't have red or green New Mexico chile (preferably from Hatch) it ain't from Santa Fe or anywhere else in New Mexico. Neither can you open up a can of Ortega's Green Chile and stick it on a cheeseburger and call it a Tex-Mex burger. It just doesn't set right with me. I am a stickler for authenticity.

While I'm at it let me get this in real quick. You cannot put together a meal - hot or cold - inside a large tortilla and call it a wrap as if it's some new invention! It's a freaking burrito!

With all that going through my head this morning Jeri and I still had a nice breakfast!

No comments: