Thursday, March 29, 2018

La Comal (the Griddle)

Click Image For a Larger View


I scored this comal (griddle) today at King Richard's Antique Mall here in Whittier. I have been searching for one like this for years. This is the closest I have come to finding a comal like my mother's. Seeing it stirred my memory.

I have asked her several times throughout the years about it but she cannot recall whatever became of it. It was just another casualty of the passing years.

After my father passed in 1981 she stopped cooking Mexican food and, in particularly, New Mexican food. The food she made was made with love for my father. Not that she did not love us but that part of her life was gone from her. She changed her entire way of cooking. The one exception was Chile Verde. She knew how much I loved this dish and she always made it with me in mind.. The last time she made Chile Verde was late 2013 or early 2014. She wanted to surprise me, instead, she was struggling and called to ask me to finish cooking for her. That was her last attempt at cooking anything. I miss her cooking.

When I was growing up she made the best flour tortillas in her comal, soft and pillowy. I ate them as she made them, slathered in butter. One of my favorite memories.

I have her recipe in my head but when I see her this weekend I am going to ask her one more time. This time with a note pad in hand. I have never made flour tortillas before but there is a first time for everything.

No comments: