Thursday, June 13, 2019

A Pot of Green Chile (Chile Verde)

20190613_145521
My wife Jeri is roasting the green chile

Good food and a family's legacy.
With my wife's help, God bless her, I'm making a pot of green chile (chile verde). That's chile with a "E" not chili with an "I". I will be taking the chile to a men's gathering from church, tomorrow night.
It seems as if I have been making chile my entire life but certainly the last forty-six, forty-seven years. It has been my go to dish for pot lucks and family functions for years but it is more than that. It is a passed down legacy from my father to me, and from my grandfather to my father.
With this dish comes centuries of family connection to the great state of New Mexico. It is literally my link to the past and another way of life. A good way of living.
Though I have tweaked it to suit my own way of cooking, it is essentially and for all practical purposes, the same dish my grandfather and father ate, years ago.
I try to pass that experience down to my children. It is important to me that the dish and the tradition of making a legacy dish is carried on.This dish has our family DNA in the recipe.


20190613_171010

20190613_171740

No comments: