Sunday, July 07, 2013

The Last Buffalo......

The Last Buffalo

Now, I don't really know if this is the last buffalo in the greater Los Angeles area or not but it's the last buffalo I ever saw in the area.  There were actually two buffalo, along with some cattle on Highway 39, just as you left the city of Azusa and entered Azusa Canyon in the San Gabriel Mountains.

I would see these buffalo every time I went fishing in the canyon. The buffalo were there for as long as I can remember and then one day they weren't. As I recall, one went first and the other was alone for several years. Then one day the second one was gone and that was the end of that.

Not too long after that the entire area was sold to a development company and condominiums filled the area. That was the beginning of the change in the Azusa Canyon area.

I don't remember exactly when I took this photograph but It was probably some time around 1979 or 1980. I'm glad I did.

No comments: