Wednesday, December 19, 2018

A Look Back at 2018



2018 is coming to an end. Christmas is less than a week away and the New Year is just around the corner. It has been a year of ups and downs, good and bad and everything in between.

Last year, on December 25th, Christmas Day, I suffered three strokes.  Much of the day is gone from my memory but there are still bits and pieces of the day that I can recall. The next few days are a blank as well. It has been a long road to recovery but I’m happy to report that I am doing well. I walk about five days a week. Some days I walk around town and on others I use the treadmill. I work out with weights at least three days a week. Nothing heavy but I am consistent.

In the photo below, taken last Christmas I was in the midst of a stroke. I did not know I was having a stroke at the time but I knew something was wrong. As is my way, I said nothing and did my best to  hide the fact that I did not feel well. I was hanging on to the table for dear life. Next time, if there is a next time, you can be sure I'll say something.

October 3, 2018 with Jeri on her birthday at Casa Jimenez in Whittier, California

Christmas Day 2017, with Left to right: daughter Meranda, me, daughter Lori. Standing: Left to right; granddaughter Maddie, granddaughter Mariah, grandson Trevor and granddaughter Sidney.

According to the doctors, I will never be 100% again but so far I have been working to prove them wrong. I am in better shape today than I have been in the last twenty years. I seem to have found my old determination and discipline.  I am just trying to be in the best shape possible for a man my age (64) that has had a stroke. Anything above and beyond that is icing on the cake
.
In April of this year my mother passed away from complications due to Parkinson’s Disease and Alzheimer’s. The last decade had been especially hard on her, and on the family. Despite knowing that she was near death, it still somehow, came unexpectedly. We all thought she had more time. Her family misses her, especially her grandchildren.  Her Funeral and Memorial Service were held at the House of Grace in Uptown Whittier.



She was ready and was fearless to the end. She was a Christian woman and was ready to be with God. She was also looking forward to being with my father again. I pray and hope that it is the way she hoped it would be. I am grateful for the time we had with her. I will love her and miss her forever.

My wife has also had problems with her health. She is a private person so I will respect that privacy but I will ask that you keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

I am still enjoying my retirement, though for the reasons that I mentioned, we have not been able to do the traveling that we had hoped to do. The bright side to everything are our  children and grandchildren. They are the center of our universe.

Whatever success and gains that I have had this year I give all credit and Glory to God. Merry Christmas and all the best to you in 2019. God Bless you!

Picking Hass Avocados in the backyard with my grandson Jack "Little Red" Guerrero in early November..


In my front yard about a week or so after my stroke. Meranda,
Andrew, me, Jeri, Lori, Savannah and my German Shepherd Kaya

After my stroke and looking a bit haggardly with son in law Josh,
 son Andrew and grandson Jack


No comments: